Chocolate French Toast is a delicious way to get chocolate into your breakfast without any guilt.
I may laugh when people say that chocolate is a vegetable because it comes from a bean, but secretly, I try my hardest to incorporate into my diet at every turn. Cocoa and dark chocolate are always making those lists of “top ten foods you should add to your diet if you want to avoid_______.” So, if I want to have chocolate for breakfast, why the heck shouldn’t I?!
So, maybe I went a little over the top with this French toast adding the whipped cream and mini chips on top. I used the spray whipped cream and if you read the label, it has very few grams of sugar. I couldn’t help but garnish the toast. Seriously, chocolate French toast isn’t that pretty by itself. I am making excuses, but the breakfast was absolutely delicious, so I am not sorry.
I made this with gluten free bread for a delightful gluten-free breakfast. Any type of bread will do.
- For one serving:
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp agave, honey or real maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 slices bread
- Whisk together the first 5 ingredients in a shallow bowl.
- Dip the bread into the egg mixture, one slice at a time, turning the slices to cover both sides.
- Lay each bread slice on a hot, greased griddle or fry pan.
- Cook 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Garnish however you like.