I am throwing in a new recipe, in between all of those from my extinct Just Me, Gluten Free site. Savory Butternut Whip is perfect for Autumn. Smooth butternut squash with a tiny bit of bacon thrown in for good measure.AAAAAH! We are nuts. I am just going to put it out there. My husband and I have lost our cotton pickin’ minds. We have two high school students; one in 11th grade and one in 10th grade. Both boys are playing football; one is varsity and one is on JV… and they are going to rival schools. That means that we have to have them at practices on opposite sides of town at the same time every day.
School starts on Wednesday and then things will slow down. The younger son, Fourth Son, actually, will ride the bus to school. He is attending our “home” school. He has had trouble with substance abuse and the law in the last year. He opted to attend the school least likely to kick him out. Oh yeah, we are in that place with him. On the other hand, the older son, Third Son, will be attending a newer, smaller school that is actually just as close to our house as the other. He is sighing with relief that he won’t have to look out for his younger brother. We are letting him have a space all to himself, even though it means driving to and from the school every day. Hopefully it will work for everyone.
So with school and cold weather comes Autumn foods like butternut squash. This whipped dish is savory. I find winter squash to be too sweet for my palate to want to add more sugar to it.
- 1 medium butternut squash, cut, peeled, and cooked
- ¼ lb bacon cooked and crumbled into small pieces (or you can use precooked crumbles)
- ½ tsp Cajun season salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- ½ tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Parmesan for the top
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the Parmesan cheese.
- Whip the squash with a mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Spread into a shallow baking dish and top with Parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees or until the top just starts to get some brown color.