Apple Pie Granola: pecans, dried apples and cinnamon make this granola a special way to start the day.
In November, I cannot get enough apples. I eat a fresh one topped with peanut butter every single day while they are in season. I supplement that regiment with pies, crisps and cakes, but those are mostly for my family. This year, I decided to add a little extra apple goodness to some homemade granola. The resulting Apple Pie Granola is something I am going to enjoy all year round because it uses dried apples instead of fresh.November’s Improv Cooking Challenge theme is apples and cinnamon, so there will be many apple treats linked at the bottom of this post. If you’d like to join with us next month, you can find all of the details here.
My gluten free site is having some huge problems…the database was inadvertently corrupted causing all of the posts to disappear. The site is back up now, but the admin end of it is still unusable. So, while this recipe is gluten and refined sugar free and should be on the other site, you get to enjoy it here. For you gluten and sugar eaters, simply use regular oatmeal and brown sugar in place of the gluten free oats and coconut sugar.
This would also make a great gift to give during the holidays….
- 2½ cups gluten free oatmeal
- 1½ cups pecan halves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup coconut palm sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon extract
- ½ tsp orange extract
- 1 cup chopped dried apples
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oatmeal, pecans, cinnamon, salt andn extracts.
- In a small saucepan, stir coconut oil, honey and coconut sugar.
- Heat on low until the mixture boils rapidly.
- pour the hot honey mixture over the oats and mix thoroughly.
- Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Spread the granola on the baking pan to about ½ inch thick.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning and stirring the pan at 10 minutes.
- Let the granola cool on the pan, stirring a few times to break up clumps.
- When the granola has cooled to the touch, add the dried apples and toss.
- Store in a tightly sealed container.