Today I’d like to introduce you to Pork Chop: 60 Recipes for Living High On the Hog by Ray “Dr. BBQ” Lampe. Pork chops are one of the more economical cuts of meat available these days. This book can help you avoid any pork chop “slumps.”The book begins with a chapter about pork chop basics. It includes cooking times, differences in cuts of meat and a few recipes for seasonings that you can make up and keep on hand for a quick pork chop meal. After that, follows chapters called : classics, new ideas, one-pot pork chops, international pork chops and extreme pork chops.
The recipes vary in their use of bone-in and boneless chops, so you can find something to make no matter what’s on sale. There is a version of pork chop pot roast, pork chop chili, even pork chop noodle soup that use boneless chops. Bone-in chops are used in Pork chops with Fresh Mango-Habenero Salsa, Grilled Pork Chops with homemade BBQ Sauce, and Garlic Lovers’ Pork Chops.
I tried the classic Sauteed Pork Chops with Apples and also the Sangrita Pork Chops. Both were delicious. I had to wait for my husband to go out of town to make the pork chops with apples. He has a thing against fruit in savory dishes. My children and I, on the other hand, did suitable justice to the platter of chops. This recipe is definitely now on my “to cook when the hubs is gone” list. We wives have lists like that.
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 boneless pork chops
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 3 large apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Combine the salt, pepper and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Rub it onto both sides of the pork chops.
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter over medium in a large skillet.
- Cook the chops in the butter until browned, 5 minutes.
- Turn the pork and cook another 5 minutes.
- Move pork to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 Tbsp butter to the pan and melt.
- Add the apple, cooking and stirring until they are lightly brown.
- Add the cranberries and sugar.
- Toss to coat and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Put the pork back in the pan.
- Cover the pan and cook a few more minutes until the pork is warmed through.
- Make sure the internal temperature of the chops reaches 150 degrees F.
- Transfer to a plate and spoon the apples over the chops.