With the weather plummeting everywhere this winter, I thought it appropriate to post a warm and hearty breakfast. This baked oatmeal is just such a breakfast. It will “stick to your ribs” and get you through the freeze outside.
I adore this stuff; it’s slice-able oatmeal. You can eat it on a plate or wrap it in a napkin and eat it on the go. I interchange the fruit, switching out raisins for other dried fruit or frozen blueberries or sauteed apples. If you love nuts, add a half cup of chopped walnuts or pecans. With my handy bag of gluten free oatmeal, I am set until the “arctic blast” that has hit us is gone.
- 4 Tbsp butter
- ¼ pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups oatmeal (gluten free, quick or regular)
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup raisins
- In a glass bowl, melt the butter with the maple syrup in the microwave.
- Stir in the eggs, applesauce, milk and vanilla.
- Combine the oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.
- Stir in the raisins or other fruit.
- Pour into a greased 7x11 pan.
- Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees.