Strata is by definition a gluten full dish, right? I am talking b.r.e.a.d as the main ingredient, and normally, I would agree. However, I got my hot little hands on a bag of Gluten Free stuffing mix by Rudi’s Bakery. I was totally sick over Thanksgiving and my family was lucky to get grilled meat, baked potatoes and pumpkin pie. So here I am, weeks later, with a bag of stuffing and my imagination.
I am a bread pudding fan from way back. I haven’t found “the” gluten free bread which will transport me back to the good ole days of stuffing my face with enriched flour wheat bread. Because of that, I haven’t bothered with French toast, bread pudding or strata. I think times are a-changin’ though and there will be a few appearances of strata from now on. This herb stuffing is excellent and as the backbone of the strata it did very well. I may or may not have had to hug the last portion to myself, whispering “my precious” to keep my sons from eating it.This would make an awesome holiday brunch. We ate it for dinner. I ate the lone left over piece for breakfast the next morning. It’s an all day kind of dish.
- 1 lb bulk breakfast sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 12 oz bag gluten free stuffing mix
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Place stuffing mix in the bottom of 9 X 13 greased pan.
- Mostly cook sausage, drain.
- Add mustard, salt, pepper and onion to meat.
- Continue to cook until onion is soft and meat is done.
- Sprinkle over bread.
- Put cheese on top of meat.
- Combine beaten eggs and milk and pour over everything.
- Bake covered 350 degrees 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to cook 10-15 more minutes to brown a bit.