Welcome to Day #3 of Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! Each day we will be celebrating the holidays with a different set of Christmas-themed treats, as well as a fabulous Christmas giveaway. We hope you enjoy this fabulous event. Tune in each day starting today, Monday, December 9th and ending Saturday, December 14th.
I am back with more candy, because December seems to require it. Although this stuff is as wonderful as it gets, no one seems to make homemade candy any other time of year. If grocery stores put sugar, extracts and other baking supplies on sale in June, maybe the story would be different, but our waistlines can heave a sigh of relief. December is the only homemade sweet month. ..for now. Visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
- Visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
- Ginger Bears by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Santa’s Favorite Holiday Bark by The Weekend Gourmet
- Gingerbread Linzer Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Gingerbread Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce by See Aimee Cook
- Bourbon Barrels by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Toasted Almond Shortbread by The Messy Baker
- Midori Melon Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti by Noshing With The Nolands
- Wine Poached Pear and Almond Rugelach by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Bebinca – Layered Goan Cake by Masala Herb
- Artichoke Dip Tarts by Food Lust People Love
- Layered Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Brittle by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Peppermint Chocolate Cupcakes by The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
- Chocolate Dipped Baked Potato Chips by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Chocolate Chip Collapsidies by Try Anything Once Culinary
I tried to combine a couple of recipes here. I found a gazillion recipes for Microwave Brittle and then I had this recipes from a friend that she entitled, “Absolutely to die for Peanut Brittle.”
That’s pretty hard to resist, isn’t it. In a nod toward convenience, I used her ingredients and then tried to microwave it. The problem is that her ingredient list was just about double that of all of the microwave brittles. Hers was a stove top, candy thermometer version. I estimated and came up short, so my brittle was, well, not brittle. Literally. It was, however, the best tasting non-brittle that my husband has ever had . He and my third son, The Engineer, had a battle of speed, agility and sneakiness in devouring it all. I think both ended up eating 45% each, with the other kids getting a mere 10% between themselves. It was a classic case of “you snooze, you ain’t gonna get any of this peanut stuff Mom made.” Only, we don’t use the word “ain’t.”
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 12 oz cocktail peanuts (Planters is gluten free)
- ¼ cup butter
- 2½ tsp baking soda
- Butter a large, rimmed baking sheet and set it close to the stove.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup and peanuts in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cooking until it reaches "soft ball" stage 235 degrees F.
- Add butter, then cook and stir constantly until it reaches 300 degrees or "hard crack" stage.
- Quickly, watching out for safely because it will foam, stir in the baking soda.
- Immediately pour mixture onto buttered baking sheet.
- Let sit until cool and hard.
- Break into pieces.
- Store in an air tight container.
Today’s #ChristmasWeek giveaway comes courtesy of Freund Container & Supply. Freund Container & Supply has been helping build businesses since 1938 as the largest distributor of glass bottles, containers, and wholesale packaging supplies online. Freund offers over 5,000 items in stock every day, 98% same day shipping, and low-price guarantees. Take a look at Freund’s wide selection of jars, tins, bottles and vials for all your crafting and food related needs! To enter to win one of FIVE different Freund gift certificates, read the details and use the Rafflecopter below!
***This giveaway is for five (individually awarded) $100 gift certificates to Freund Container & Supply. Gift certificate is a one-time use certificate and must be used in its entirety; any leftover monies on the gift certificate will be forfeited. This giveaway is open to both US and Canadian residents. However, it should be noted that due to current International shipping rates, any Canadian winners will pay higher shipping costs for orders. ***
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by Freund Container & Supply. #ChristmasWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***