Today is the reveal day for May’s Improv Challenge. This month we are creating food with Cinnamon and Sugar. How fun is that? I will be very surprised if there are any savory recipes, but I then, I have been surprised by the creativity of the members of our group on more than one occasion!Cinnamon and sugar has long been a favorite combination in my house. I keep a dish of it in my cupboard for special toast or slices of apples when my daughter is being particularly obstinate in choosing what to have for breakfast or snack. I tried having a sugar shaker full for all of the boys to eat, too, but because they often left a quarter inch thick layer of it on their plates after they ate their toast, I had to resort to clandestine measures. For this challenge, I created an incredibly easy treat. There is not really a recipe with measured ingredients. It’s more of a “let your imagination be your guide” type dish. I have it all written out below, but feel free to trade out the fillings for nut or cookie butters, marshmallow fluff or pie fillings. You could also use powdered sugar instead of the cinnamon/sugar combo, but that would defeat the Improv thing I have going on here.
- small flour tortillas (8inch or less)
- cream cheese
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- oil for frying
- Spread flour tortillas with a layer of cream cheese.
- Spread about 1 tsp jam on top of cream cheese.
- Roll up tortillas and secure each with a toothpick.
- Heat 1 inch of oil to 350 degrees or until a popcorn kernel pops.
- Fry wraps until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels for about 15 seconds.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar in a shallow dish (like a metal pie tin).
- Roll the wraps in the cinnamon/sugar combination.
And here are all of the other participants’ entries: