Don’t forget to enter to win a Canon Rebel Camera HERE thru 4/30/13
I have climbed on the bandwagon. I am following the crowd. I am doing something because “everyone else is doing it.” Where is the cliff, so I can jump off it like my friends are?
I have finally made Magic Bars. And I don’t care if it is the latest thing and completely not original. These things are amazing!Because I have a hard time sticking to a weekly menu, let alone an entire month theme here on the blog, I have used a bit of creative license in the Make Your Own theme. These bars are made with a cake mix. My version of a homemade chocolate cake mix can be found HERE. See, now it’s okay that I am posting this recipe…you can make your own version of cake mix to make the bars. In fact, you can make your own sweetened condensed milk if you follow this recipe. Now, on to Magic Bars. They are cousins of the classic Hello Dolly or Seven Layer bars that show up every December. Only these babies have been “bedazzled.” The basic formula is to take a cake or brownie mix or cookie crumbs, add eggs and butter to form a base. Then you use your limitless imagination to put toppings on top. Finally the entire pan is drizzled with a can of sweetened condensed milk and baked. The resulting dessert bars are chewy, sweet and totally addictive. I am afraid this won’t be the only Magic Bar to appear here. Making these bars was the culinary equivalent of opening Pandora’s Box.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup Jet Puff Marshmallow Bits
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- In a bowl, stir together cake mix, butter and egg.
- Mixture will be very thick.
- Line a 9X13 pan with foil and spray with oil
- Pat chocolate mixture into pan.
- Top with chips and bits.
- Drizzle with milk.
- Bake 350 for 28-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Let cool 20 minutes and then put into fridge until ready to cut.
- Bars will become fudgy in the fridge.
- Remove bars and foil from pan, peel back foil and cut.