Today I would like you to meet Brenda from Meal Planning Magic. She is the Guru of organizing meals. Her blog is not just about recipes. She reviews meal planning services, food apps, and food books (not just cookbooks). She shares her own menus and gives great hints to save you money and help you put healthy meals on the table. You can find her on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest Take it away, Brenda!
I think it must have come to me in a dream: the idea of a chocolate lava cake but one that was made in the slow cooker. It sounded like a meal planner’s heaven. Well, really, I think I had read it somewhere online but I didn’t remember where so I went searching because I knew this was what I wanted to make to satisfy my chocolate craving. When I first started looking at some of my cookbooks, most of them called for a cake box mix. I wanted something from scratch and I found several recipes online.
I modified mine a bit because I was low on brown sugar, one of the main ingredients. Well, no one missed that extra sugar and my whole family loved it! I loved that I could throw all the ingredients into the slow cooker on a lazy Sunday afternoon and have the ooey, gooey goodness ready for dessert after dinner! So easy, I think it may be dangerous! We served ours with vanilla ice cream. And while not exactly the same, the leftovers are a fudgy sweet treat when warmed up slightly in the microwave. I hope you’ll give it a try too. If you’re a chocolate lover like me, you won’t be disappointed!
- FOR THE CAKE:
- ½ cups Brown Sugar
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 6 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- FOR THE FUDGE TOPPING:
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3 cups Boiling Water
- For the cake:
- In a medium to large bowl, stir together the brown sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Pour in milk, melted butter and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Spread the batter over the bottom of a 3-4 quart slow cooker.
- For the fudge topping:
- Mix together the brown sugar and cocoa.
- Sprinkle mixture over the cake batter.
- Pour the boiling water over the top.
- DO NOT STIR!
- Cover and cook on High for 2 – 2½ hours.
- The edges will be bubbly but the cake will look “set” with the pudding oozing around it.
- Cake will be very hot!
- Turn off heat and carefully remove lid.
- Let sit, uncovered, 20-30 minutes before serving.
- You want it warm but not too hot! Serve with ice cream if desired.
Thank you, Brenda! I agree, that looks like one dangerous cake. It sounds so easy and looks so good!!!