You are in for a special treat today. The beautiful Amy from A Healthy Life for Me is with us and she brought along a decadent cake and gorgeous photos to match. I am so glad to introduce her to you. She is quite an amazing person. She keeps bees. She raises chickens. She does hot yoga. I don’t think there is anything she couldn’t do if she put her mind to it. You must check out her cakes , some of her posts on bees and chickens and her amazing garden. She cans, she cooks and she loves her some chocolate.
WARNING -This cake is sinful. It is dense with not one but two doses of chocolate and the orange kick sends your taste buds on a euphoric little ride. I just kept adding layers upon layers of flavors until finally exhausted, I cried “Uncle”. Actually this little bad chocolate boy is super simple to pull together. You don’t even need a mixer everything can easily be pulled together with a few bowls, a fork and a cake pan. Plus, if you are like me and sometimes when you need a cake you don’t have a cake… did that sound weird? Anyway, this cake freezes well, so on Sunday afternoon when you want to torture your family make this cake, cause your whole house smells divine, and then tell them they can’t eat it cause your freezing it for later. Nah, just kidding don’t do that…
I wanted to say a quick and sincere “Thank You” to Kristen for allowing me to be a guest here on her fabulous blog! If you are interested in checking out any of my other recipes, gardening tips or stories of my backyard chickens, please come over and visit me on my blog, A Healthy Life For Me. You can also follow me on Facebook.
P.S: If you are wondering where I got the DAVE’s syrup, I ordered it on line –the stuff is awesome if you like to bake.
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour, sifted
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (60% preferably)
- Zest from one medium orange (organic)
- Raspberry Sauce:
- 12 ounce bag of frozen raspberries, slightly thawed
- 3 tablespoons of confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract or DAVE’s Vanilla-Coffee Syrup
- Directions for the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray or grease a 9” cake pan.
- Put butter and semi-sweet chocolate in a small bowl and microwave for one minute.
- Remove and stir for several minutes until all chocolate is melted.
- In a large bowl beat eggs and sugar together until smooth.
- Sift flour into egg mixture and add salt, stir to combine.
- Add melted chocolate mix and orange zest, stir to combine.
- Add bittersweet chocolate chips and stir.
- Add batter to prepared cake pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until cake tester comes clean.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- Gently remove cake from pan when cool and place on cake stand or serving plate.
- Dust with Confectioners sugar.
- Serve with Raspberry Sauce and Whipped Cream.
- Directions for Raspberry Sauce:
- Place frozen Raspberries in a medium bowl and smash with the back of a fork. Add confectioners sugar, vanilla or DAVE’S vanilla-coffee syrup, stir to combine.
- This sauce can be stored in refrigerator for a week or frozen for a month.
You can find Amy on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest.