It’s day #2 of #ChocolateWeek hosted by Kim from Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina. Our theme for today is Peppermint Surprise. Be sure to visit the other participants listed at the end of the post!
This is a really, really, REALLY easy dessert to put together. It’s like those old commercials for rice crispy treats where the mom whips them up in five minutes, but throws flour on her face and acts like she slaved away in the kitchen making dessert for her family. This trifle will tempt you to do the same thing.
I found a bag of already crushed candy canes at Walgreens that allowed me to skip the hammer step. I do enjoy getting out a hammer to crush candy canes in a ziploc bag, but I hate that I always end up putting holes in the bag, spilling sticky powder all over my floor and counters. I have learned to save cereal bags for that purpose. They are a lot stronger and usually don’t get as many holes.
- 1 package 9X13 brownies, and ingredients called for on package
- 1 large package instant chocolate pudding
- 3 cups milk
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- ½ cup crushed candy canes
- 1 8 oz container frozen whipped topping (cool whip), thawed in fridge
- 2-3 drops red food coloring
- Bake brownies according to package directions.
- Cool completely.
- Mix pudding mix with milk and peppermint extract.
- Place in fridge to cool until ready to put trifle together.
- Crush candy canes with hammer and bag.
- Mix food coloring into whipped topping and put back into fridge.
- To assemble, layer pieces of brownie, pudding, cool whip, candy cane in a glass bowl.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Peppermint Marshmallows from Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies from Jen of Juanita’s Cocina
- Candy Cane Blossoms from Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Candy Cane Cocoa in a Jar from Anuradha of Baker Street
- Peppermint Brownie Trifle from Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Candy Cane Mocha from Isabelle of Crumb
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate from Erin of Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- White Chocolate Peppermint Covered Pretzels from Erin of Spiffy Cookie
Minty Brownie Bites from Cathy of The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
Candy Cane Oreo Cheesecake Cookies from Chung-Ah of Damn Delicious