Welcome to day four of Christmas Week hosted by Kim from Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina. Today it’s all about gingerbread.
Oh Boy! Do my kids ever love gingerbread. Each year I make gingerbread boys and hang them from our dining room chandelier. Except, I didn’t do it last year because in the house we were renting there was a fan above the table. That little fact didn’t prepare me for this year. I made a batch on November 29th. As per usual, I over-baked the batch that was to be hung so they’d be nice and dry and stay up for a week or two. Ha! I was used to Arizona dry weather.
I hung them at 9pm. By 5:45am when my two oldest boys were eating breakfast, 5 out of 8 lay on the table. By 7:30am when my other three kids were eating, the last of the 8 was down. And eaten. Even in the “dry season,” it is too moist in Florida to hang my cookie decorations. I am SO bummed.
I had plans to finally use my gingerbread Nativity cookie set this year, too. I can just picture the carnage, so I may just skip the scene and use the smaller cookie cutters to make frosted cookies. Sigh.
With that discouraging experience behind me, I knew that whatever I made for today had to be moist to begin with. It’s been a while since I made donuts, so I thought I would tackle a gingerbread cake type donut. I think a lemon sauce over gingerbread is just about the best thing ever, so I put a lemon rind glaze on them. The recipe made about 18 good sized donuts. The family attacked them with their usual gusto. For a few moments, I truly wished I weren’t a gluten free stick in the mud and could have eaten them, too.
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¾ cup milk
- 4-4½ cups self-rising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1;2 tsp cloves
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- vegetable oil for frying
- rind of 1 lemon
- juice of ½ lemon or 2 Tbsp
- enough water to make ⅓ cup when combined with juice
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- Beat eggs with mixer.
- Add sugar, molasses and oil, mixing well.
- Add milk and mix again.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to egg mixture.
- Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Roll dough out on well floured board to ½ inch thickness.
- cut with donut cutter or floured glass.
- Fry in 1 inch of oil at 350 degrees.
- Flip after about 2 minutes or when edges begin to darken significantly.
- Cook on second side for another two minutes or until it matches the first side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Prepare glaze by combining lemon juice, rind and water in a microwave safe measuring cup.
- Heat to boiling in microwave.
- Whisk hot water into powdered sugar.
- Dip one side of cooled donuts into glaze and place on rack to dry,
Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls from Cathy of The Dutch Baker’s Daughter