Is it getting cooler where you live? Have you broken out your Dutch ovens and started making soup? One morning last week, we woke up to 60 degrees and my sons actually turned on my car’s seat warmers and demanded that I turn on the heat as we drove. I couldn’t help sniggering just a bit. We have definitely acclimated to Florida. Luckily for my sons, that “cold” morning was soon replaced with our regular 70+ degree mornings and almost 90 degree days.
Our warm weather has not, however, prevented me from making soup. It’s a psychological thing for me. Autumn equals soup. The calendar doesn’t lie. Regardless of my wearing shorts and a tee shirt, at least once a week, you will find me in the kitchen standing over a simmering pot of soup from now until March. Most will be quick soups like this one. After all, it’s one thing to have soup when it’s 85 degrees outside, it’s another to simmer soup for three hours.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package taco seasoning (2-3 Tbsp)
- 1 package ranch dressing mix (2 Tbsp)
- 1 small can diced green chilies
- 1 can corn
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 14 ounce cans beef broth (or 4 cups homemade)
- 1½ tsp cumin
- Brown ground beef with onion and garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Serve with cheese, if desired.