Ah oatmeal. It was one of my favorite cold weather breakfasts. My sons only care for the instant type. My daughter would rather be drawn and quartered than be made to eat it any form for breakfast. My husband likes it plain with lots of butter and brown sugar. I alone liked to experiment with new forms like blueberry cheesecake, black forest and pumpkin pie. But I am no longer eating oatmeal because of my Hashimoto’s.
Luckily, I made this pumpkin pie oatmeal a long time ago. I forgot to post it and then I remembered that October’s Improv Challenge was oatmeal and raisins! How fortuitous!! So with many longing glances, fond memories and maybe a little drool, I give you my entry. I used to eat it a lot last winter.
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup pumpkin
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup quick oatmeal
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Combine first six ingredients in a saucepan, stirring to mix
- Heat milk, cinnamon, allspice, salt, pumpkin and raisins on medium low.
- Bring to a slow simmer, but not a rolling boil.
- Add oatmeal, stirring constantly.
- Heat until thick.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Serve with maple syrup or whipped cream or both.
I am excited to see what our Improv Challenge members came up with this month. If you want to join us next month, check out my Improv page at the top left of this page. You will need to join our Yahoo group to get the emails containing the link codes.