This is the first time I have lived in a “swing” state. When I lived in Washington, it was a given that the state would go Democrat. Utah and Arizona always went Republican. It’s a little exciting to be in Florida this year. The news is filled with visits from candidates. They are saying that we are the third most important state in the presidential race.
I would say that that is really exciting, but most people here already know how they are going to vote. What it actually means is that we are being inundated like crazy with ads that are mostly just annoying. I learned a few years ago to register Independent when I got my driver’s license. It saves my recycle bin from being filled with fliers from a particular party because no one bothers the Independents. I find that I like saying I am independent. It means that I can make up my own mind. I do usually vote for just one party, but if I find a candidate on the “other side” that seems like a better fit, I don’t have any problem voting that way, too.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 3.5 ounce bar dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- In an 8 cup microwave safe bowl, heat milk and cream until hot but not boiling (about 3 minutes).
- Whisk in sugar, salt and eggs.
- Microwave another 2 minutes, whisking briskly when done.
- Try not to let it boil all over.
- Stir in chocolate and vanilla until chocolate is melted.
- Pour into individual bowls.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.