Our new family room furniture arrived. I guess it’s almost time to share a few before and after pictures of the house…soon. It’s not the couches that sparked this post, though. It was the giant box that I snagged from the delivery men. It is now a house in Princess Pat’s room. When I looked out my front door and saw an 8’X4’X3′ box, I knew it should not go to waste. I asked if I could have it. The men laughed and said I was the first person who had wanted them to leave a box behind, but sure, I could have it.
Getting it around corners and into the Princess’s room was a bit of a challenge, but once it was there, all I had to do was tape up the “roof” and cut a few windows and a door. Because Princess Pat is much taller than most kids her age, she is too big for most tents and plastic houses made for little girls. Now she can spend her time decorating the outside with stickers and crayons. The inside is already full of stuffed animals.
Did you ever have an appliance box house as a child? I remember a couple of occasions when my parents or friend’s parents got them. We had so much fun crawling around, pretending to play store or house or castle. Usually, they were kept in a backyard. The weather eventually caused their demise and we went on to other activities. Princess Pat has already informed me that she is keeping her house for a long time. “Don’t recycle it, Mom!”
- 4 cups of cooked chicken (4 chicken breasts or 1 whole chicken)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne (add more to taste)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 1 small jar roasted red pepper, chopped
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (about ⅓ cup?)
- 4-8 taco shells (depending on how much salad you put in each)
- shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- Combine mayonnaise and spices until mixed.
- Stir chicken, red pepper, green onions and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Add mayonnaise mixture until well combined.
- For best flavor, cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- To serve, spoon salad into taco shells and serve with cheese.