I am always making things for my family and friends that I do not or cannot eat. It’s just life. Usually I don’t complain, but once in a while, I get fed up with overloading my olfactory senses with cinnamon rolls or chocolate chip cookies. On those days, I search for a gluten free, alternatively sweetened dessert. And look out if anyone gets in my way before that craving is satisfied, especially if it’s Apple Crisp!
Recently I took the following recipe and made it “legal” for me. I used a small pyrex dish, hoping to make a two serving dessert. But it wasn’t two servings…I felt too guilty about not making dessert for the rest of the family, that I shared. However, I did take a rather large serving, just to make sure it was good, before dinner. Then, we split what was left. I. Am. SO. Bad.
- 6 peeled, sliced apples
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup oatmeal (I used Chex gluten free oatmeal)
- ½ cup brown sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- ½ cup flour (I used chestnut flour)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Spread apples in greased 8 X 8 pan.
- Mix the remaining ingredients with a fork or pastry blender and sprinkle over apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until apples are tender.