I am not sure I will ever get used to the humidity of the East. I think part of the trouble is air conditioning. I mean women wore thirty layers with corsets in the 1800s. Men wore long sleeves and ties. Here I am in shorts and a tee shirt and I am complaining. If there wasn’t such a huge difference between in the house and out of the house, in the car and out of the car, in the store and out of the store, maybe I’d get used to it. It’s a theory anyway.
When I was at Disney World for the Food Bloggers Forum, I was introduced to a Dole Whip: pineapple ice cream with juice poured over it. Officially, it’s pineapple juice, but I used not-from concentrate orange juice. Officially, the ice cream is non-dairy soft serve made with a powder mix, but I used an uncooked heavy cream homemade ice cream. I won’t claim that my version is spot on, but it is close enough. I will claim that it’s delicious AND it’s a great way to beat the heat.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 6 ounce cans pineapple juice
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup 2% or whole milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- orange juice
- Put canister from ice cream maker into freezer 2 hours before preparing.
- In a bowl, pour first seven ingredients.
- Mix well
- Pour into canister and turn on ice cream machine.
- After the ice cream machine is done, freeze until firm.
- Serve in a cup with orange juice poured over it.