Seriously, by 10pm, I am struggling to keep my eyes open. If I stay up until 11pm, it’s a minor miracle. I haven’t seen midnight more than a handful of times in the last twenty years. And still, when that 5:45am alarm goes off, I have to drag myself out to meet the day. So breakfast during the school year is pretty pathetic from a culinary point of view.
So some mornings, despite my not feeling awake, I make breakfasts that don’t come straight out of a box. I do use as many shortcuts as possible, though. I just cannot be expected to think straight that early in the morning. I psych myself up to get up and cook the night before. I plan out the meal, even sometimes going as far as assembling pans and appliances. Then I fall asleep thinking about the logistics of the coming meal…wondering if I can stay in bed a little longer if I cheat a little somehow.
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup canned sliced potatoes, drained
- 8 corn tortillas
- 8 slices Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- salsa for garnish
- Spray a skillet with PAM or the equivalent.
- Scramble the eggs and cook them with the potatoes, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- At the same time, on either a griddle or another frying pan, heat the corn tortillas, turning them once when they start to bubble or shrivel.
- Once you turn them, place a slice of Cheddar on each and turn off the heat.
- Place the tortillas on plates, scoop the egg/potato mixture into each, fold over and serve with salsa.