You will have to excuse me, I have nachos on the brain these days. I could only eat normal Mexican nachos so often before my imagination started acting up. I have a whole list of different variations on the nacho theme running around in my head. This is the first: Italian Nachos.
I thought of all the delicious things that go into a great Italian dish and combined it on top of corn chips. It’s gluten free and delicious. My kids love eating dinner with their fingers so there were no complaints from them. I set up all of the toppings in separate little bowls and everyone made their own. Some of us used all of the options, while others only chose meat and cheese.
|The Comedian wanted to have his nachos included in the post. He was very proud of his chip placement.|
The recipe isn’t really a recipe per se. You will have to adjust the amounts according to your tastes.
- tortilla corn chips
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce of your choice
- 1 pound Italian sausage, cooked
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 4-5 mushrooms sliced or 1 can, drained
- 1 small can sliced black olives, drained
- mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Combine onions and peppers in a skillet with 1 Tbsp olive oil and saute.
- Remove to a bowl.
- In the same pan, add remaining 1 Tbsp oil and saute mushrooms.
- Remove to new bowl.
- Arrange desired amount of chips on a plate.
- Sprinkle some mozzarella cheese over the chips.
- Add a couple of spoonfuls spaghetti sauce over the cheese.
- Top with peppers, onion, mushrooms, cooked sausage, olives and more mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Microwave for 45 seconds or until cheese is melted.
- Repeat for other servings.
- You could pile everything on a baking sheet and bake a big batch at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.