French bread went on sale, buy one get one free. When I can find things at the prices I remember in the 90s, I get excited, and of course, I buy them. So I had French bread pizza all planned for a Friday night’s dinner. I knew my kids would love it. I would have liked it, too. However, that particular Friday, I had a doctor’s appointment with the kind of doctor I had been searching to for for 5 years. The kind of doctor who could help me manage a particular disorder that I was diagnosed with 8 years ago. Anyway, long story short, in the course of my visit, the doc told me I needed to cut gluten from my diet. I never saw it coming. I was like Wile E. Coyote looking down to see that he’d left the cliff 2 steps back.
So, I drove back home that morning, sighing as I passed Popeye’s chicken and biscuits, crabbing as I passed my favorite pizza joint and almost sobbing as I thought about Italian foods, hoagie sandwiches and homemade bread. I knew I had to start looking for a silver lining or I’d just become a puddle of goo. Luckily, I realized that most Asian foods and Latin foods are rice and corn based. And then there are potatoes. Thank goodness for potatoes. Yes, I think I can do this.
So while the kiddos ate their French bread pizzas, I did a little number on a baked potato and it was good. It wasn’t pizza. Once I gather some gluten free flours, I will tackle that. But for now, a pizza potato will do the trick.
- (makes one)
- 1 potato
- 1 Tbsp pizza sauce
- 1 Tbsp ricotta cheese
- ¼ tsp Italian Seasoning
- 4-5 slices pepperoni, chopped
- enough milk to moisten
- 2 Tbsp mozzarella
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan
- Bake the potato in the oven or microwave.
- Cut it in half lengthwise and scoop out most of the flesh into a bowl.
- Add the pizza sauce, ricotta, herbs and pepperoni.
- Mash together until smooth, adding milk as needed to get a good mashed potato consistency.
- Stir in 1 Tbsp mozzarella and Parmesan, then spoon back into the potato skins.
- Top with the remaining cheese and a few slices of pepperoni for pretty.
- Heat in microwave until bubbly or return to the oven for a few minutes.