My house doesn’t really have heat. We live in Florida, so it’s not supposed to get really cold, I guess. We have a fireplace and we have a button on our thermostat that says “emergency heat.” When the temperatures get down below freezing, that is the button the AC guy said to press….for short periods of time. So about 10 days ago, we had a cold snap come through with temperatures down in the 30s at night for three nights. Neighbors rushed out to cover their palm trees with blankets while I got out extra blankets for the humans in my house. We woke up each morning with the inside temperature at 65….and we ninnies were COLD! So I threw on the oven and made hot meals each morning. Luckily, we have a fairly small house with an open floor plan, so only the bedrooms remained chilly once the oven got going.
- 1 24 ounce bag shredded hash browns
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups chopped ham
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound Velveeta (or other shelf stable solid cheese product), cubed
- In a skillet, saute the green pepper and onion in a little bit of oil.
- When soft, combine with remaining ingredients in a large greased casserole or a 9X13 pan.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees or until browned and bubbly...but not burned.