This breakfast is full of Florida goodness at its best: lemons, limes, blueberries, and local honey. Before moving here, I associated blueberries with nothern states, but actually, I am within 10 miles of multiple blueberry farms. The only difference is that they are DONE producing here by June and in places like Washington, they don’t even start until mid-July!
I am submitting this recipe to the Breakfasts of the World Challenge over at Very Good Recipes. I am labeling it a recipe from the USA because of the ingredients, so I am not calling it a French Toast Casserole (despite the loaf of French bread in it)(and the white stuff is 1/3 less fat cream cheese instead of Neufchatel)
So we have bread, cream cheese, blueberries and zest of multiple citrus fruits soaked in a milk, egg, honey mixture topped with a citrus/blueberry syrup. My children said all sorts of lovely things as they ate this. I can tell you that the syrup made the dish. I used a combination of lime and lemon, but you could throw some orange into the mix, too.
- 1 loaf of bread, broken into small pieces
- 1 8 ounce brick cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 lemon
- 2 limes (normal sized, not key limes)
- ⅓ cup honey
- 10 eggs
- ¼ tsp lemon extract
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- Layer the bread cubes, cream cheese, zest of both the lemon and limes and 1 cup of blueberries two times each in a greased 9 X 13 pan (bread, cheese, berries, zest, bread, cheese, berries, zest).
- Mix the eggs, milk, extract and honey in a bowl and pour over the bread mixture.
- (The honey will want to clump up, so whisk it well, especially as you pour the last ½ cup of liquid in the bowl)
- Cover the pan with foil and let it sit for 30 minutes on the counter.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes covered and 30 minutes uncovered.
- Meanwhile, juice the three fruits.
- Add enough water to make 1 cup (about ½ cup water).
- Mix the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- Add the juice/water mixture and heat to boiling.
- Stirring constantly, boil for 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 cup blueberries and continue to cook and stir until mixture thickens.
- Serve warm.