I love reveals. From HGTV to What Not To Wear, I love the “ta-da” factor. Today is Group B reveal day for the Secret Recipe Club and I think it is even more fun to be part of the reveal than to watch it. This month, I was given Patricia’s blog Butter Yum. I have enjoyed reading her blog for a long time, so it was especially nice to be given her blog from which to choose a recipe. I still need to make pizza using her 10 Secrets for making Pizzeria quality Pizza. I have had that page bookmarked since she posted it in May 2010. This time, however, I was short on time. We have been passing a nasty virus through our house since Thanksgiving week. Princess Pat is just finishing a course of antibiotics for an ear infection and the Thinker is home from school with “walking” pneumonia and another set of meds. What we needed was biscuits to go with some chicken soup!
The original recipe was baked by ButterYum Jr., Patricia’s daughter. I made just a few changes according to our tastes and what I had in the cupboard. Instead of parsley, I used chervil. Honestly, I am not sure where my parsley is. It’s bothering me a little that the bottle seems to have walked off. Anyhoo, I also added a bit more garlic and cheese. I ask you: Is there such thing as too much garlic and cheese? Not when it comes to biscuits.
(adapted from ButterYum’s delightful version)
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅔-3/4 cups milk (start with the smaller amount)
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp chervil (or parsley)
- In a bowl, mix together butter, cheese and ¼ tsp garlic powder with a pastry blender.
- Add milk and stir with a fork until a soft dough is formed.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, place in a greased 10 inch cake pan or on a greased baking sheet or a greased 9X9 pan.
- (If you want them to bake separately, use the baking sheet and leave space between them, if you like them all clumped together, use the smaller pans).
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- (it takes longer if the biscuits are touching).
- While the biscuits are baking, combine the melted butter, second ¼ tsp garlic powder, kosher salt and chervil (parsley).
- When the biscuits are done, remove from the oven, brush them with the butter mixture.