Have you seen the recipes where people take a can of pumpkin and add it to a chocolate or yellow cake mix and then bake it? No eggs, no oil, just pumpkin? Well this is almost that recipe. I had pumpkin left over from making everything under the sun. It’s really amazing how much pumpkin is in one of those 28 ounce cans. Anyway, there it was, sitting in my fridge; almost a full 14 ounce can’s worth. Then I saw the date filling left from my mother-in-law’s date filled cookies (it’s okay, folks, don’t freak out that this was old filling, I am just now posting the recipe, but I made the cupcakes about a week after the date cookies) and knew that I had to use both.
So I grabbed a Butter Pecan cake mix (because I live in the south now and I can grab that flavor) (but if I lived where that flavor is not available I would have settled for spice or yellow), and I mixed in the pumpkin. But then I freaked out that the cupcakes I had in mind wouldn’t rise enough, so I added an egg. Just one. It was enough. I put a dollop of date filling onto as many as I could before I ran out. Some ended up plain.
All of them ended up with a thick layer of cream cheese frosting on top. Perhaps that was overkill. You will have to imagine what they looked like that way. They didn’t make it to the photo shoot.
- 1 cake mix, preferably butter pecan, spice or yellow
- 14 ounce can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 egg
- Optional date filling
- Optional cream cheese frosting
- Combine all three ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir or mixer them all together until smooth.
- Scoop into cupcake liners.
- Bake 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until they test done.
- If using filling, spoon filling on top of uncooked cupcakes and slightly press down.
- Frost if desired.