This recipe was highlighted last week by Amy of A Little Nosh. It came from Renee over at My Kitchen Adventures. The day I read it, I popped a bunch of ingredients in my crock-pot and had it for dinner. That is a huge deal because I usually stick pretty closely to my weekly menu. However, it looked so good and I was reading recipes at 5:30 in the morning and I was hungry. How could I resist against such obviously good reasons?
The original recipe called for 9 chicken thighs. I used 1 whole chicken breast. Because most chickens seem to be the Dolly Partons of the bird world these days, I was able to feed 8. I also threw in a mongo sweet potato, skipped the mushrooms, used freeze dried celery and red peppers, omitted the spinach and wine and added whole baby carrots and
(adapted from My Kitchen Adventures)
- 1 large, whole chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 28 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 large handful whole baby carrots
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 Tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp chicken base
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups water
- Throw all of the ingredients into a slow cooker.
- Give it a stir and cook 8 hours on low.
- Serve over cooked pasta or rice.
Your turn! Come join the fun and show us what you have made in your kitchen this week!