I have a thing for oranges and yeast dough. I think they are a match made in Heaven. That little zing of zest, that soft bread. I may just have to go out to my kitchen and bake after I write this…I am making myself hungry!
I have been on the lookout for the perfect orange roll. Long ago, I mean ages and ages ago, I bookmarked this orange roll recipe from Just Get Off Your Butt and Bake! In fact, it’s been so long that Jonna, the author, has a new url now. Go here to see her new blog. She didn’t import all of her old stuff to the new blog, so you may want to visit both places. This is definitely a great roll. Now if I could just find an orange bread recipe I like….
(taken from Get Off Your Butt and Bake!)
Author: Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Recipe type: Bread
A rich dough filled and iced with orange
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 6 Tbsp butter
- zest from 1 orange
- ½ cup sugar
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- juice of 1 orange
- Warm sour cream, orange juice and butter in the microwave until butter is almost melted.
- Stir warm mixture until butter finishes melting.
- Add sugar, salt and eggs to butter mixture and stir.
- In a small bowl, combine yeast and warm water and let sit until bubbly.
- Add yeast mixture to egg mixture.
- Mix in flour.
- Knead until a soft dough forms.
- If using a mixer, remove dough hook.
- Cover bowl and let rise 1 hour.
- Punch down dough.
- Roll out on floured counter to a large rectangle
- Spread with softened butter, then the sugar and zest.
- Roll up jelly roll style.
- Cut into 1½ inch slices.
- Place in greased pans.
- Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and cool 10-15 minutes.
- Make icing by beating powdered sugar and butter.
- Slowly add orange juice until you get desired consistency.
- Spread icing on mostly cooled rolls.
Your turn! Feel free to grab a Your Recipe, My Kitchen button over on my right sidebar. What did you make in your kitchen this week??