This week, I am taking a recipe from Joseph’s Grainery and changing it up a bit to fit into the “diet” I am on (in hope of not embarrassing myself on the Florida beaches) and what I had in the refrigerator. Have you been to Joseph’s Granery? You will find so many wonderful recipes using whole grains and the photographs are gorgeous!
For my version, I used goat cheese because my feta was spoken for. I eliminated the Craisins and added some walnuts, used grilled summer squash and a strawberry vinaigrette that is out of this world. I have been on a pseudo-Sonoma style diet for the last three weeks. I have lost a healthy 2 pounds per week and have loved eating so many fresh vegetables. Usually, my salads include grilled meat from the night before, but using wheat berries was a nice change.
( Salad adapted from Joseph’s Grainery)
(from the Sonoma Diet book)
- 1 cup strawberries
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- sugar substitute of your choice to equal ½ tsp sugar
- Salad:For 1 serving (adjust for more)
- ¼ cup cooked wheat berries
- 1½ cups torn spinach leaves
- ½ grilled zucchini (cut lengthwise in quarters and then sliced)
- ½ grilled yellow squash (cut lengthwise in quarters and then sliced)
- 8 walnut halves, crumbled slightly
- 1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp strawberry vinaigrette (recipe below)
- Combine dressing ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Chill and store up to 1 week in the fridge.
- Layer salad ingredients in a bowl, ending with cheese and dressing.
Okay. Your turn. What’s cooking in your kitchen?