It’s also one of my go-to meals when I need to take a friend or neighbor a meal. It always turns out well and takes no more effort than browning some hamburger. The rest of the ingredients simply simmer in a pot for a few hours and “poof!” it’s done. I usually crumble up some corn muffins in mine. The rest of my family likes it with shredded cheese and sour cream. They prefer their corn muffins on the side with honey.
(adapted from Todd Wilbur’s Top Secret Recipes)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 14 ounce cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 14 ounce cans northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small can green chiles
- 1 28 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp chile powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 cup water
- Brown the ground beef in a large Dutch oven or stockpot.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients into the pot and simmer 2-3 hours, stirring every 15 minutes or so.