This recipe is completely different than most that I make. I will just say that right at the beginning. See, I had this jar of couscous that needed to be used and I had access to the internet; a dangerous combination for a creative cook, let me tell you. Honest, I started off looking for a savory couscous recipe….something with curry. Then I saw a picture of a lemon couscous cake and then another of an apple raisin couscous cake. I was intrigued. This is what I came up with.
This isn’t really a cake, not in the egg and flour sense. It’s really sweet couscous with fruit and coconut that has been pressed into a small dish and refrigerated until it sets. I would say this is more of an adult dish than a family dish. (Okay, I didn’t share, so I don’t know if my kids would have liked it. In my defense, it didn’t make enough for more than two or four servings.) Change out the butter for a Vegan margarine and this could be totally Vegan.
- 1¼ cup coconut milk
- ¾ cup couscous
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup chopped dates
- ½ cup shredded coconut (I actually used the leftover pulp from making the coconut milk)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover and remove from the heat.
- Let sit 10-15 minutes.
- Pour into a small dish (about 1 quart size), press down to form a cake like form, refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Carefully invert onto a plate or cut into pieces and serve.