As I continue to make my way through the huge amount of bookmarked recipes I have gathered in the 2+ years I have been blogging, I have realized I will never get to the end. As soon as I make one recipe, I find two or three more to replace it. It just never stops.
This week, I am featuring Hot Chocolate Cake (which was originally called Hot Cocoa Bread) which I found on the blog Chickens in the Road. I figured it was appropriate for this time of year, especially considering where the mercury has been spending its time on the thermometer lately.
Because my family likes lots of flavor in their hot chocolate, I added mint and more vanilla and more marshmallow bits. The flavor was SO chocolaty. It was completely like eating a solid cup of hot chocolate. The cake was amazing fresh, right out of the oven. Later, once it had cooled down, my sons had no problem scarfing it down some more.
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp mint extract
- ⅔ cups cocoa
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup milk
- chopped mint Hershey Kisses
- 1 cup Jet Puffed marshmallows bits
- In a bowl, combine oil, sugar, salt, vanilla, mint extract, cocoa and eggs.
- Mix well.
- Add all of the flour and then the milk.
- Stir in the marshmallows and mint candies.
- Spread in a greased loaf pan.
- Bake 350 degrees 1 hour or until done.