The Engineer had been hounding me to make breakfast cookies for about two weeks when I finally set aside a time to make them. Before mutiny erupted, I did a bit of fiddling with a few recipes, taking into account what ingredients actually were in the house this time and came up with a breakfast bar. The nice thing about these bars is their versatility. I also like bars versus cookies for saving time. So, I give you the breakfast bar that saved the day:
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cups AP flour
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup golden raisins
- Beat the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla or other flavoring and mix well.
- Mix in the oatmeal, All Bran and flour followed by the raisins....or any other add ins.
- Spread into a greased 9X9 pan.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
1/4 cup coconut oil and ¼ cup nut butter for the butter
1/4 cup coconut palm sugar and ¼ cup maple syrup for the brown sugar
If you go the gluten free route, bake 25 minutes and check it. Overbaking will leave you with rocks.