I don’t know about you, but I am all about easy in the summer. We sleep in, we stay up, we go to the pool, we forget that in a mere week, we will be getting up between 5-5:30am to get ready for school…until next June. (UGH). Summer cooking is all about taking it easy, too. When I do make dessert (you will recall, we have been eating a ton of store bought ice cream), I try not to use the oven.
These little beauties are just another take on cereal treats. Usually, I’d use rice crispies, but I didn’t have any. I used a rice chex, because that’s what I did have. No one seemed to notice the switch. I don’t think anyone would care because the butterscotch-y goodness is, well, so good.
Butterscotch No Bake Cookies
Author: Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- 1 package butterscotch chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups unsweetened cereal (or whatever unsweetened puffed or flake cereal you have)
- Pour the chips into a microwave safe bowl.
- Melt the chips in the microwave, cooking them 1 minute at a time, stirring and then cooking again until smooth.
- Combine the peanut butter and melted chips.
- In a large bowl stir the peanut butter mixture into the cereal until thoroughly coated.
- With a large ice cream scoop or a ⅓ cup measuring cup, form into individual cookie and place on a piece of waxed paper on a cookie sheet.
- Or pat all of the mixture into a square pan, cool and cut into bars.
- Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes and serve.
This is easily made gluten free by using gluten free cereal.