This month’s Recipes to Rival challenge was to make strata. The original recipe used spinach and pancetta, but my father has a clotting problem and can’t eat too many foods with Vitamin K in them. Pancetta? Well, I would have to go for a 3 hour drive to get that. So. We have the All-American cheddar and ham version.
It made a great breakfast. Some of the family put salsa on top. I think living in Arizona is completely changing their palates. If you’s like to make a gluten free version, simply substitute gluten free bread in place of the French bread. Cut it into cubes and treat it like regular bread.
Author: Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- 1 stale loaf of French bread
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups milk
- ½ cup ham, chopped
- ½ cup cheese, diced
- Break the bread into small pieces and place in greased 9 X 13 pan.
- Sprinkle the bread with ham and cheese.
- Combine the eggs and milk and pour over the entire thing.
- Cover and refrigerate over night.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 400.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- And then uncover it and bake for 25 minutes more.