The old saying goes, “When life hands you lemons….” my new version goes something like, “When neighbors hand you bananas, make blog posts!” Actually, that isn’t a very good saying, but bloggers know what I mean. There are blog posts hiding in everything around us! I told you on Tuesday what I did with some of the bananas we got from a neighbor. I thought, lest I bore you to death with banana posts, that I should simply combine all the rest in to one post.
You may or not recall that I hate bananas. It stems from a dramatic scene of gluttony when I was three years old. I haven’t wanted to pass my aversion on to my kids, so I steel myself against the smell and feel of the offending fruit and bake with them anyway. I wash my hands a lot when handling bananas.
This recipe freeze well. I have tripled this recipe with great results.
- 1¾ cups flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- (optional: ½ cup all bran softened in ½ cup buttermilk)
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and banana.
- Combine the dry ingredients and add to banana mixture until smooth.
- Add bran/buttermilk, if desired.
- Pour into greased bread pan.
- Bake 350 for 50-60 minutes until done.