Big soft oatmeal cookies loaded with raisins, I love these homey treats. This is my mother’s recipe. I have no idea where or even when she got it. I cannot remember a time that she didn’t make these spicy oatmeal cookies. They are one of my favorites.
They freeze really well, so if you make up this entire batch (about 7-8 dozen cookies), feel free to put some away for another day. You can also cut the recipe in half. It works that way, too. I have experimented with adding chocolate chips and didn’t like them as well. However, adding walnuts or pecans is definitely a good thing.
Soft and Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
Author: Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups shortening
- 2 eggs
- 6 Tbsp milk
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 4 cups flour
- 6 cups oatmeal
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups raisins
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Add the eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Combine the soda, flour, salt, allspice and cinnamon.
- Add to the wet ingredients.
- Add the oatmeal....it will be getting really thick by now.
- Add the raisins.
- Bake 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
This is a huge batch of cookies. You can halve the recipe without any trouble.