I wanted to make a wonderful WOW type dessert for our big Christmas Eve dinner. I don’t know that I succeeded, but this is what I made. It was the 1951 Pillsbury Bake Off Grand Prize winner. My biggest mistake was in using the high altitude directions. They were decidedly not necessary and I believe they made the cake dry. I left them out of the directions below.
Starlight Mint Chocolate Cake
Author: Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- 2 (3-oz.) pkg. cream cheese
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup hot water
- 1 cup chocolate chips, melted
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. In large bowl, combine cream cheese, ½ cup butter, vanilla and peppermint extract; blend until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar alternately with hot water, beating until smooth.
- Add melted chocolate; blend well.
- In another large bowl, combine 2 cups of the frosting mixture and ¼ cup butter; blend well.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt and milk; beat until smooth.
- Pour batter evenly into greased and floured pans.
- Bake at 350°F. for 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans.
- Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer, top side down, on serving plate.
- Spread with about ¼ of frosting.
- Top with second layer, top side up.
- Spread sides and top of cake with remaining frosting.
- Garnish with crushed candy canes.
- Store in refrigerator.