I wanted to make a wonderful WOW type dessert for our big Christmas Eve dinner. I don’t know that I succeeded, but this is what I made. It was the 1951 Pillsbury Bake Off Grand Prize winner.
The cool thing about this recipe is you make the frosting first. Then you take part of that frosting and put it in another bowl, add more ingredients and get the cake batter! I thought it was a super novel way to make a cake. Hands down, everyone loved it.
Starlight Mint Chocolate Cake
Author: Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- 2 (3-oz.) pkg. cream cheese
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup hot water
- 1 cup chocolate chips, melted
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. In large bowl, combine cream cheese, ½ cup butter, vanilla and peppermint extract; blend until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar alternately with hot water, beating until smooth.
- Add melted chocolate; blend well.
- In another large bowl, combine 2 cups of the frosting mixture and ¼ cup butter; blend well.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt and milk; beat until smooth.
- Pour batter evenly into greased and floured pans.
- Bake at 350°F. for 30 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans.
- Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer, top side down, on serving plate.
- Spread with about ¼ of frosting.
- Top with second layer, top side up.
- Spread sides and top of cake with remaining frosting.
- Garnish with crushed candy canes.
- Store in refrigerator.