I just finished making 160 popcorn balls to give away to neighbors and friends. I dyed some red and some green and then wrapped them in pink or green plastic wrap. I thought these would be a pretty economical thing to make this year as my only expense was butter. All of the other ingredients were pantry items.
When it’s not Christmas, I leave the popcorn balls plain. They are fun snacks or gifts for neighbors and friends. I like the fact that they go together in a snap and I don’t have to use a candy thermometer!!
Holiday Gift Idea: Popcorn Balls
Author: Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- 8 quarts popped popcorn
- 4 sticks butter (1 pound)
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 2⅔ cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- food color, if desired
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the sugar and corn syrup.
- Stir constantly until it boils and then continue for 3 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and coloring, if desired.
- In a huge bowl, combine the popped corn and the marshmallows.
- Pour the hot butter mixture over the popcorn and stir until completely covered.
- Let sit about 5-10 minutes.
- Butter you hands and form into balls.
- Place the popcorn balls onto waxed paper lined baking sheets.
- Wrap with plastic wrap.