Today, I am sharing a recipe that my mother adapted from a Better Homes and Garden Recipe. It is a delicious bread. It is also pretty darned good for you.
Multigrain Bread or Rolls
Author: Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker adapted from BHG
- 3 cups warm water
- 2 Tbsp yeast
- ½ cup molasses
- ⅓ cup melted butter, cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup dry milk powder
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, molasses, and salt.
- Let the yeast form a sponge.
- Add the melted butter and eggs.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and mix them into the wet ingredients.
- Knead by hand or with a mixer 6 to 8 minutes.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Punch dough down, divide in half and place in 2 greased loaf pans or shape into rolls and let rise in a greased 9 X 13 pan or shape into 3 artisan hand shaped loaves on greased cookie sheet.
- Cover and let rise another 30 minutes.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven: 35 minutes for loaves, 20 minutes for rolls (watch these, it may take more or less time depending on how big you made them).