If you Google ‘Beef Bonaparte’ you will find a delicious recipe made with ground beef. When I was a little girl, my mom changed the meat to ham and “KAPOW!!” It became something altogether different and wonderful.
I ate way too much of this tonight. There is so much to love about this casserole. Ham and tomatoes make an odd pair, but with cream cheese, sour cream and lots of Cheddar cheese, it’s an amazing combination. I have made this with gluten free noodles with great success. Considering how much I love it, that’s a really good thing.
Ham Bonaparte or My Favorite Casserole Ever
Author: Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- 1 pound of cubed ham
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes, drain, but reserve juice
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- black pepper
- Tobasco sauce to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pkg egg noodles, cooked
- 1 8oz pkg cream cheese
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzerella cheese
- Brown ham and tomatoes and garlic lightly in a skillet.
- Add the reserved juice and tomato sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, bay leaf and Tabasco.
- Lower the heat to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Combine the cooked noodles with the cream cheese, green onions and sour cream.
- Grease a 9 X 13 pan and alternately layer noodle mixture, tomato mixture and combined grated cheeses.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly. (Freezes well).
This works great with gluten free noodles!