First of all, I want to thank all of you who left suggestions on Fri/Sat for me about the plethora of zucchini sitting on my counter. I decided stuffed zucchini would get rid of the most squash with the least amount of hassle. I did not, however have any Italian Sausage or want to use hamburger. So, I put my thinking cap on and came up with the following delicious (everyone gave it the thumbs up) new twist.
If I had only used more spice, this could easily have been a Cajun inspired dish. However, I am a spice wimp and have a fairly spice wimpy family. So we enjoy herbs more than peppers.
- 1 16oz polish sausage, diced
- 4 large zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and centers scooped
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 brick of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 tsp rosemary
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp marjoram
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Saute the onion in oil until soft.
- Combine all ingredients but zucchini and cheese.
- Scoop sausage mixture into prepared zucchini boats
- (NOTE: I found it better to cut a small strip from the bottom of the squash so it didn't roll around).
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 375 degrees for 35 minutes (or until zucchini is tender and mixture is hot)