Today’s recipe is a simple one, but it is always a hit with everyone. Carrots are naturally sweet, but that little extra sweetness added by the apple juice and sweetener makes them almost like candy….Vitamin packed candy. I have used agave nectar, maple syrup and brown sugar in this recipe. All turn out well. You could change the apple juice for orange juice with good results, too.
We eat carrots in one form or another every week. They are one of the few vegetables that every single person in my family enjoys.
- 6 large carrots, peeled and sliced into thin slices
- ⅓ cup apple juice
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- In a medium saucepan, bring apple juice, butter and brown sugar to a boil over medium high heat.
- Stir in the salt.
- Add carrots.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cover and simmer.
- Stir occasionally until tender.
- If there is a lot of liquid in the pan, cook uncovered until it reduces.
- Toss carrots with parsley and serve.