I know. Everyone knows how to make French Toast, but let me tell you about this recipe anyway… you won’t be sorry.
First of all, homemade bread, sliced thick, is one of the best breads to use. However, there are some good store bought breads. Buttermilk bread is good, so is anything labeled “Texas toast.” If all else fails, though, use the squishy kind, because really, this recipe makes even the worst-for-you bread taste great.
- 12 slices bread
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- cinnamon/sugar mixture (2 tsp cinnamon in ½ cup sugar is plenty)
- In a shallow bowl (I use a metal pie pan), beat eggs with a fork, then add milk and vanilla and stir.
- Dip bread sliced in the egg mixture and then place on a buttered griddle or frying pan.
- Immediately sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and flip.
- Sprinkle other side with cinnamon.
- Cook on medium so as to not burn the sugar.
- When that side is cooked, flip and cook other side.
- Serve with real maple syrup.