I want you to know that I have never read any of those cake mix cookbooks. I don’t usually use mixes enough to want to turn one into 100 different desserts. That being said, I have had a run of inspiration tonight. I started out to make these cake mix cookies and decided that seeings I had just made chocolate zucchini bread for snacks yesterday, the gang didn’t need another chocolate food.
- 9 X 13 size Chocolate cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup raisins
- Mix eggs, oil and cake mix in a bowl.
- Add chips and raisins.
- Drop by spoonful onto cookie sheet and bake 350 degrees for 11 minutes.
- Cool a few minutes and then put on a wire cooling rack.
So I went downstairs to my pantry room and looked to see what varieties of cake mixes I had. My choice was German chocolate, devils food, carrot, and yellow. I started thinking about what yellow or carrot would taste like in the above recipe. I ended up choosing the carrot cake mix. I substituted white chips for the chocolate. Presto! a new delicious cookie.
Then I took a few minutes and wrote down the following varieties for future use:
1. Yellow cake mix: add chopped pecans and butterscotch chips instead of raisins and chocolate
2. German Chocolate cake mix: add coconut and toffee chips as well as chocolate chips
3. Strawberry, orange or lemon mix: add white chocolate and coconut or walnuts
4. Devils food mix : add peanut butter chips and chopped peanuts
5. Add peanuts to the first recipe and make it like a Cadbury nut & fruit bar
6. And like I said, carrot: white chocolate and raisins
Here’s one I made with Yellow cake mix and white chocolate chunks: