Although I have seen instant oatmeal for $1 a box in the last year, and I serve it to my kids without batting an eye, I like the idea of making it from scratch.
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets
Author: Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- small zip-loc baggies
- Put ½ cup oats in a blender on high until powdery.
- Set aside in a small bowl and repeat procedure with an additional ½ cup oats.
- If you're using a food processor, you can do 1 cup at a time.
- Put the following ingredients into each baggie: ¼ cup quick oats, 2 tbsp powdered oats and ⅛ tsp salt.
- To serve: Empty packet into a bowl.
- Add ¾ cup boiling water.
- Stir and let stand for 2 minutes.
- For thicker oatmeal, use less water.
Variations: 1. Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal: To each packet add 1 Tbsp sugar, ¼ tsp cinnamon and 2 Tbsp finely minced dried apples (use scissors) 2. Sweetened Oatmeal: Add 1 Tbsp sugar or 1 packet artificial sweetener 3. Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Oatmeal: Add 1 Tbsp brown sugar and ¼ tsp cinnamon 4. Raisins & Spice Oatmeal: Add 1 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 Tbsp raisins and ⅛ tsp each allspice and cinnamon 5. Fruit & Cream Oatmeal: Add 1 Tbsp non-dairy coffee creamer and 2 Tbsp minced dried fruit (use scissors) 6. S'mores Oatmeal: Add 6 miniature marshmallows and 1 Tbsp milk chocolate chips
If you know of any more variations, I would love to hear about them.