This sauce is amazing. I often stock up on caramels after the holidays and make tons of this sauce as gifts. It is super easy to make and a wonderfully easy gift. When I was a teenager, my mom would make up a quart of the sauce and put it in the spare fridge for emergency desserts. It keeps for a long, long time in the fridge. Well, what she didn’t know was that I would grab a spoon from the kitchen and then mosey on out to that fridge and sneak a spoonful all of the time. Often when she went to grab that jar of sauce it would be lighter than she expected and when she looked inside, she would find the center tunneled out all the way to the bottom of the jar.
Nowadays, I am not the one who tries to sneak spoonfuls of this sauce. However, because I am a reformed culprit, I am on the lookout for sneaks. I have caught more than one of my kids with their spoons poised to steal a bite or two of this wonderful sauce. It is truly the best hot fudge sauce (or cold fudge sauce) that I have ever had.
- 12 ounce bag chocolate chips
- 1 bag caramels (or about 50 if you buy in bulk)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 can evaporated milk
- Combine ingredients and cook in the microwave until smooth.
- I usually cook it about 2 minutes at a time on 50% power.
- Stir, then cook some more. Watch it, there is nothing worse than burned chocolate chips in the microwave (unless it is burned popcorn!)
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Makes about 3 pints.
- Warm it up in the microwave before serving over ice cream, over brownies, by the spoonful...