Caramelitas are oat bars with chocolate and caramel in the center. They are rich and buttery and totally addicting. In college, I had a roommate named Margene, who made Caramelitas with Bisquick. I have searched high and low for a similar recipe , but never found one. This recipe uses flour and baking soda and is simply out of this world!
Author: Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- 1 11oz bag caramels
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ cups quick oatmeal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chocolate chips (any kind: milk, semisweet or dark)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put caramels and milk in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir until melted and smooth, adding 30 seconds of cook time if necessary.
- Meanwhile, mix flour, baking soda, salt oatmeal, sugar and melted butter until crumbly.
- Firmly press half of the mixture into a foil lined, greased 9 X 13 pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips and optional nuts.
- Pour melted caramels over the chocolate.
- Place remaining crumb mixture on top.
- Press it down gently.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and gently remove foil lined bars out of the pan to a wire rack to cool.
- After 15 more minutes, peel foil off the edges.
- Cut these pretty small.
- They are super rich and sweet.